American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A strip of material, as of ribbon or leather, or a metal clamp, that is placed between the pages of a book to mark the reader's place.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A ribbon or other device placed between the pages of a book, to mark a place where reading is to begin, or to which reference is to be made.
- n. A strip of material used to mark a place in a book.
- n. computing A record of the address of a file or Internet page serving as a shortcut to it.
- n. databases A pointer found in a nonclustered index to a row in a clustered index or a table heap
- v. computing, transitive To create a bookmark.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Something placed in a book to guide in finding a particular page or passage; also, a label in a book to designate the owner; a bookplate.
- n. a marker (a piece of paper or ribbon) placed between the pages of a book to mark the reader's place
“But my definition of a "bookmark" is very wide - basically anything I can use to stick in the book and mark my place counts.”
“To clarify, check the screenshot above to how I set up a keyword bookmark for Lifehacker would look like.”
“Slivers of bone in the spine, and the bookmark is made of bleached human hair.”
“The smart bookmark is a kind of saved search -- "These codes can range from simple queries to a string that will search a domain and give you the latest stories, or simply those related to a keyword." - but it's complicated.”
“The construction of an isometric bookmark is straightforward: take an index card and cut it in half draw a line from the center to one of the corners, as illustrated below”
“Create a keyword bookmark for the mailto: prefix, maybe something along the lines of em or just e.”
“Reader Gilles writes in with an interesting tip: You can use a keyword bookmark to quickly post something to Twitter from the address bar in any browser.”
“The AdWords as bookmark is certainly an interesting point.”
“For those who don't know, Easton Press publishes hoity-toity, leather-bound version of books with gilded pages and a built-in bookmark ribbon.”
“Like Christmas … These are full red leather, bookmark is bound into it – in a beautiful black traycase – I will know when I get home tonight which letters I possess, and I will put one up on eBay to test the waters.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘bookmark’.
A collection of book words.
having a look at book
Obviates the need for other devices or calculations--it will have a button for everything, and it will solve everything.
Listed various words that have come into my mind. Will edit them at some point - honestly.
dog-gold, shoulderlooker, mr. considering, the pigwoman, stevie is waiting, chingwybodganpwy, thelandscapeisstu..., couchsurfing, cappuccinodrinking, meat-eater, posher, mae rhaid i fi fynd and 581 more...
New verbs for the internet age. No physical activity required.
A list of words and terms for technology tools.
Looking for tweets for bookmark.