American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A label bearing the owner's name or other identification that is pasted usually on the inside cover of a book. Also called ex libris.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A label, bearing a name, crest, monogram, or other design, pasted in or on a book to indicate its ownership, its position in a library, etc.
- n. A printed piece of paper pasted on one of the pages of a book, most often on the inside front cover, showing ownership and thus deterring theft.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A label, placed upon or in a book, showing its ownership or its position in a library.
- n. a label identifying the owner of a book in which it is pasted
- book + plate (Wiktionary)
“(If you haven't seen these before, a bookplate is a little ornamental sticker that you stick to the inside front cover of a book.)”
“The address to send a self-addresses stamped envelope to for a signed bookplate is on the order form for the web site for autographed books here.”
“A transcript of The Concealed Fansyes, made from the M.S. in the Bodleian about 1860 and bearing the Stainforth bookplate, is in my possession.”
“A bookplate is a simple but nicely designed sticker that the two of us can sign and then simply mail to you, to be placed inside your book or on your dashboard or forehead if you want, like one of those old “ex libris” stickers.”
“If despite this waiting, you'd like either a starter-kit or a personalized, signed bookplate (s), just email me at email@example.com.”
“Both provide adequate steps for creating your own bookplate.”
“Fangrrl warning: I have the 2d ed, have given the 3d as a gift and will be picking up the 4th (and bugging EV for another bookplate!).”
“I used a greenish wash in the background, with a Victorian bookplate design stamp providing the resist.”
“Many of the 4,000 books in the auction www.bloomsburyauctions.com have Davidson's bookplate affixed—a simple line drawing of the Mediterranean rascasse fish, the essential ingredient of bouillabaisse, of which Davidson wrote a hilarious essay called "The Harlot of Marseilles.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘bookplate’.
A collection of book words.
having a look at book
A list of bookbinding terms and phrases, for assembling new or repairing/reassembling old books.
Words used in the rare book trade (of which I was once a part). For more about how such books are put together, see hernesheir's excellent The Bindery.
Looking for tweets for bookplate.