from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A lighthouse.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An ancient lighthouse or beacon to guide sailors.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A lighthouse or beacon for the guidance of seamen.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A lighthouse or tower which anciently stood on the isle of Pharos, at the entrance to the port of Alexandria.
- n. Any lighthouse for the direction of seamen; a watch-tower; a beacon.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a tower with a light that gives warning of shoals to passing ships
Latin, from Greek, after Pharos, a peninsula, formerly an island, in the Mediterranean Sea at Alexandria, Egypt, and the site of an ancient lighthouse, one of the Seven Wonders of the World.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)