from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A freestanding, roofed, usually open-sided structure providing a shady resting place.
- n. A belvedere.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. belvedere, either a type of summer-house or a roofed, detached porch-like structure, usually in a yard, park or lawn
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A summer-house commanding an extensive prospect. Also written gazeebo.
- n. Any structure or part of a building which affords or commands an extensive prospect or outlook, as a turret or lantern on the roof of a house, a balcony, a projecting window, or the like.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a small roofed building affording shade and rest
Origin unknown.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Possibly from to gaze + Latin conjugation ending -ebo (as in videbo); possibly from Arabic qasbah ("citadel") refashioned after gaze. (Wiktionary)