from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An arbor or a passageway of columns supporting a roof of trelliswork on which climbing plants are trained to grow.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A framework in the form of a passageway of columns that supports a trelliswork roof; used to support and train climbing plants
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Lit., an arbor or bower
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A kind of arbor; a sort of balcony.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a framework that supports climbing plants
Italian, from Latin pergula.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Italian pergola, from Latin pergula. (Wiktionary)