from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An implement used to crack nuts, typically consisting of two hinged metal levers between which the nut is squeezed.
- n. Any of various birds of the genus Nucifraga, especially N. caryocatactes of northern Eurasia and N. columbiana of western North America, that are related to the crow and feed chiefly on the seeds of pine cones.
- n. See nuthatch.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An implement for cracking nuts.
- n. Either of two birds of the genus Nucifraga in the crow family.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An instrument for cracking nuts.
- n. A European bird (Nucifraga caryocatactes), allied to the magpie and crow. Its color is dark brown, spotted with white. It feeds on nuts, seeds, and insects.
- n. The American, or Clarke's, nutcracker (Picicorvus Columbianus) of Western North America.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An instrument for cracking hard-shelled nuts.
- n. A toy, usually having a grotesque human head, in the yawning mouth of which a nut is placed to be cracked by a screw or lever.
- n. plural The pillory.
- n. A corvine bird of Europe and Asia, Nucifraga caryocatactes, belonging to the order Passeres, family Corvidæ, and subfamily Garrulinæ. See cut at Nucifraga.
- n. The nuthatch, Sitta cæsia.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a compound lever used to crack nuts open
- n. speckled birds that feed on nuts
- n. any of various small short-tailed songbirds with strong feet and a sharp beak that feed on small nuts and insects
This 10 Darth Vader nutcracker is the design of Kurt S. Adler, European importer since 1946.
Am I alone in thinking the Thatcher nutcracker is kinda cool?
The nutcracker is ugly but ridiculous and ultimately without power or threat.
The nutcracker is an appeal to and encouragement of the worst of those fears.
In an obvious and grotesque way, the Hillary nutcracker is insulting, demeaning, and offensive --- offensive in the sense of intending to put women on the defensive.
For this human, the nutcracker is part of her tradition, and that is explained to the alien.
I wonder why the Yoda nutcracker is so much cheaper than Darth.
Later that night, the young lady goes on a magical journey through a snow forest and a fantasy land of sweets, accompanied by her nutcracker, which is really an enchanted prince danced by Nathan Carr.
It's one of the unjustices of life that good-looking girls can be steelier -- much moreso than plainer or older women, because a lot of men tolerate it better without the label of "nutcracker".
"Oh dear, well, that must be 'nutcracker' again," and Rolf ran off, wrenching himself from his tormentor's hands.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.