American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A post set up to indicate distance in miles, as along a highway.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A post set up to mark distance by miles along a highway or other line of travel.
- n. A post on a highway, often with one or more fingerposts, showing the distance in miles to nearby places
- n. rail transport A sign or post beside a railway marking the distance from the (actual or nominal) start of a line (usually the principal terminus or junction with a more major line)
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A post, or one of a series of posts, set up to indicate spaces of a mile each or the distance in miles from a given place.
- n. An event or accomplishment marking a significant advance in an endeavor; a notable achievment.
- n. stone post at side of a road to show distances
“This photo is taken from 20 Minute Cliff, aka milepost 19 of the Blue Ridge Parkway.”
“Please note that it means a lot of things more than just a milepost or marker.”
“For a country that has been changing prime ministers yearly and consuming its own with nasty political infighting, the resignation is one more dreary milepost on a road to apparent ungovernability.”
“To cap off Lula's presidency, Rio de Janeiro last year was awarded the 2016 Olympics, which many Brazilians saw as a milepost.”
“Therefore, the year 2000 is one important milepost, though for many religious traditions it also marks a heightening of their invisibility.”
“It is just a significant milepost along the way and I think it is important that we do continue these efforts.”
“Unfortunately, that milepost doesn't look reachable anytime soon.”
“The Bills will head into the season as a notable milepost on the NFL map, if only to mark high-definition plot lines with Owens — whose skills can't be taken for granted (even at age 35) and whose persona is always worth watching.”
“Done right, it is a journey undertaken with only a fragmentary map constructed out of a patchwork of accumulated local lore and the occasional milepost marked "here be dragons.”
“If we'd been able to call him back, though, I think we might very well have left the jacket hanging on the milepost 152 sign and kept going.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘milepost’.
Words that contain the letters "post" in that order, etymology not important.
Looking for tweets for milepost.