from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various elongate insects of the order Dermaptera, having a pair of pincerlike appendages protruding from the rear of the abdomen.
- transitive v. To attempt to influence by persistent confidential argument or talk.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various insects of the order Dermaptera that have elongated bodies, large membranous wings folded underneath short leathery forewings and a pair of large pincers protruding from the rear of the abdomen.
- v. To fill the mind of with prejudice by insinuations.
- v. To attempt to influence by persistent confidential argument or talk.
- v. To eavesdrop.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any insect of the genus Forficula and related genera, belonging to the order Dermaptera (formerly Euplexoptera). They have elongated bodies and a prominent pair of curved pincers at the rear of their abdomen.
- n. In America, any small chilopodous myriapod, esp. of the genus Geophilus. See Geophilus
- n. A whisperer of insinuations; a secret counselor.
- transitive v. To influence, or attempt to influence, by whispered insinuations or private talk.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To gain the ear of and influence by covert statements or insinuations; whisper insinuations in the ear of against another; fill the mind of with prejudice by covert statements.
- n. The popular English name of all the cursorial orthopterous insects of the family Forficulidæ, representing the suborder Euplexoptera, which has several genera and numerous species.
- n. In the United States, the common name of any of the small centipeds, such as are found in houses in most of the States.
- n. One who gains the ear of another by stealth and whispers insinuations; a prying informer; a whisperer.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of numerous insects of the order Dermaptera having elongate bodies and slender many-jointed antennae and a pair of large pincers at the rear of the abdomen
The name "earwig" itself is sufficiently puzzling, but "coach-bell" seems, if possible, still more utterly unintelligible.
Biological method, involves the use of natural predators such as earwig, green muscardine fungus, and white muscardine fungus to paralyze and eventually kill the pest.
When it comes to the debates, he will need an 'earwig' so he can be fed answers like on that game show movie.
Foodies will appreciate the two-person booths opposite the open kitchen where you can earwig on the chefs as they work their way through the service.
If all of God's creatures have a useful purpose — a rightful place, as it were — on this planet, then someone please explain to me just what the hell kind of purpose God had in mind for the earwig.
I actually can't picture what an earwig looks like, but I can see why you hate them.
I shall have to wiki an earwig, as I'm not sure what they are!!!
But what in the blue hell does an earwig do besides gross me out?
Unfortunately they also stuck this earwig in my ear to be prepared, so I got to hear your whole interview with Colin Firth.
I sat in the back and literally white-knuckled on the seat because I was terrified that an earwig was going to get me.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.