from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An upright post on which a gate is hung or against which it closes.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a vertical post from which a gate is hung/attached.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A post to which a gate is hung; -- called also swinging post or hinging post.
- n. A post against which a gate closes; -- called also shutting post.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of the side-posts that support a gate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. either of two posts that bound a gate
Sorry, no etymologies found.