from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A movable structure used to close off an entrance, typically consisting of a panel that swings on hinges or that slides or rotates.
- n. A similar part on a piece of furniture or a vehicle.
- n. A doorway.
- n. The room or building to which a door belongs: They live three doors down the hall.
- n. A means of approach or access: looking for the door to success.
- transitive v. Slang To strike (a passing bicyclist, for example) by suddenly opening a vehicular door.
- transitive v. To serve as a doorman or doorwoman of (a nightclub, for example).
- idiom at (someone's) door As a charge holding someone responsible: You shouldn't lay the blame for the fiasco at her door.
- idiom close To refuse to allow for the possibility of: The secretary of state closed the door on future negotiations.
- idiom leave the door open To allow for the possibility of: Let's leave the door open for future stylistic changes.
- idiom show (someone) the door Informal To eject (someone) from the premises.
- idiom show (someone) the door Informal To terminate the employment of; fire.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A portal of entry into a building or room, consisting of a rigid plane movable on a hinge. Doors are frequently made of wood or metal. May have a handle to help open and close, a latch to hold the door closed, and a lock that ensures the door cannot be opened without the key.
- n. Any flap, etc. that opens like a door.
- n. A non-physical entry into the next world, a particular feeling, a company, etc.
- n. A software mechanism by which a user can interact with a program running remotely on a bulletin board system.
- v. To cause a collision by opening the door of a vehicle in front of an oncoming cyclist or pedestrian.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An opening in the wall of a house or of an apartment, by which to go in and out; an entrance way.
- n. The frame or barrier of boards, or other material, usually turning on hinges, by which an entrance way into a house or apartment is closed and opened.
- n. Passage; means of approach or access.
- n. An entrance way, but taken in the sense of the house or apartment to which it leads.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A movable barrier of wood, metal, stone, or other material, consisting sometimes of one piece, but generally of several pieces framed together, commonly placed on hinges, for closing a passage into a building, room, or other inclosure.
- n. An opening for passage into or out of a building or any apartment of it, or any inclosure; a doorway.
- n. Hence—3. An exterior or public entrance-way, or the house or apartment to which it leads.
- n. Avenue; passage; means of approach or access, or of exit: commonly in figurative uses: as, the door of reconciliation; a door of escape.
- n. Near to; bordering on; very nearly.
- n. Hence, figuratively, quite gone; no more to be found; lost; irrelevant.
- n. Figuratively, to ruin one.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a swinging or sliding barrier that will close the entrance to a room or building or vehicle
- n. a structure where people live or work (usually ordered along a street or road)
- n. a room that is entered via a door
- n. anything providing a means of access (or escape)
- n. the entrance (the space in a wall) through which you enter or leave a room or building; the space that a door can close
Looks to me like the door opening leading to the garage should be raised and fitted with an 8′ model door+/- to match the kitchen.
(_He opens the door, starts to go through it, then stops, turns and looks at the Woman, is drawn slowly backward by his gaze and comes in closing the door_) No! WOMAN.
KATHLEEN [_Opening door of kitchen toward the end of FRAU QUIXANO'S speech, but turning back, with her hand visible on the door_]
Still he did not return, but supposing him not far off, and wanting to get to bed herself, tired as she was, she left the door unbarred and went to the stairs, after writing on the back of the door with chalk: _Mind and do the door_ (because he was a forgetful man).
At Easypet we understand and therefore offer a comfortable door to door* pet transportation service ensuring that each pet receives the individual attention it deserves.
STANDISH _below door down_ L. TRENT, MRS. CROSBY, MISS EASTWOOD C. _above door_ L. WIL.IAM _up_ R.C. _All watch_ MASON.
By way, too, of further proof that my imagination had awakened, the significance of that knocking at the door set something vibrating within me that most surely had never vibrated before, so that I suddenly realized with what atmosphere of mystical suggestion is the mere act of knocking surrounded -- _knocking at a door_ -- both for him who knocks, wondering what shall be revealed on opening, and for him who stands within, waiting for the summons of the knocker.
"Behold, I stand at the door and knock; _if any man hear my voice, and open the door_, I will come in to him, and sup with him, and he with me.
He then crosses up to_ L. _of the cupboard door at back centre and leans on his elbow against the wall_.) (_Enter_ DELIA _from the door_ R.)
She leaves the outer door open after her, and through it is seen a_ PORTER _who is carrying a Christmas Tree and a basket, which he gives to the_ MAID _who has opened the door_.) _Nora_.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.