American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Inducing vomiting; vomitive.
- n. Something that induces vomiting.
- n. An aperture through which matter is discharged.
- n. One of the tunnellike passages of an amphitheater or stadium between the seats and the outside wall or passageway.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Procuring vomiting; causing ejection from the stomach; emetic; vomitive.
- n. An emetic.
- n. In architecture, an opening or passage, usually one of a regularly disposed series, in an ancient Roman theater or amphitheater, which gave direct ingress or egress to the people in some part of the auditorium.
- n. The entrance into a theater or other large public venue, where masses of people are disgorged into the stands; a vomitorium
- n. medicine A substance that induces vomiting; an emetic
- adj. medicine Inducing vomiting; emetic
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Causing vomiting; emetic; vomitive.
- n. An emetic; a vomit.
- n. (Arch.) A principal door of a large ancient building, as of an amphitheater.
- n. an entrance to an amphitheater or stadium
- From Latin vomitorium (Wiktionary)
“Human beings add to the mud bath after drinking sprees that render the world a giant vomitory; horses in a Victorian street emit "a steaming heap of straw-woven horseshit".”
“Donbass Arena Glossary cluster звуковой кластер из колонок stage furniture обшивка сцены props реквизиты lighting trusses металлоконструкции для света scaff рабочие на лесах stage hand разнорабочий operating area производственная площадь stage scenography сценические декорации chain hoist motors цепные лебёдки rigging stage roof высотные работы по поднятию сцены gibbet стрела крана catering питание vomitory запасный выход plywood фанера logistic перевозки”
“Yes, I believe that humor is an anti-vomitory medication for political digestion.”
“When Termite discovers the words vomica, vomit, vomitive, vomitory, vomitorium, vomiturition, and vomitus in the dictionary, she comments that, Page 1,355 has got to be the best page of the dictionary ever.”
“From this vomitory the old glacier poured into the plains of the Po that wonderful accumulation of mud, gravel, boulders, and large erratics, which extend for 15 miles from above Ivrea to below Caluso and which when seen in profile from Turin have the aspect of a chain of hills.”
“From F, as from a great vomitory, it then radiated in all directions bearing along with it the moraines with which it was loaded and spreading them out on all sides over the great plain.”
“I get tired of thinking so hard and duck out through the vomitory, flashing my borrowed badge.”
“No. There is a volume of smoke, as if the chimney were in flame -- a tumultuous cloud pours aloft, straggling and broken, through the broad slate stones that defend the mouth of the vomitory from every blast.”
“a black beast leaped forth from the deep vomitory.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘vomitory’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
we are all just passing through.
(boundaries, portals and liminal spaces/times)
"Fornication" is not equal to "formication".
Words with funny meaning, spelling or both.
Soiled, dirty, ruined, spoiled, rotten and the like.
Looking for tweets for vomitory.