from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A gate used to control the flow of a body of water. Also called water gate.
- n. Something that restrains a flood or outpouring: The ruling opened the floodgates to refugees seeking asylum.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An adjustable gate or valve used to control the flow of water through a sluice.
- n. Anything that controls or limits an outpouring of people, emotion etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. regulator consisting of a valve or gate that controls the rate of water flow through a sluice
- n. something that restrains a flood or outpouring
Sorry, no etymologies found.