from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A passage for escape or exit; a vent.
- n. A means of release or gratification, as for energies, drives, or desires: exercised as an outlet for frustration.
- n. A stream that flows out of a lake or pond.
- n. The mouth of a river where it flows into a larger body of water.
- n. The point of intersection of a driveway and a road, especially in a rural area.
- n. A commercial market for goods or services.
- n. A store that sells the goods of a particular manufacturer or wholesaler.
- n. A receptacle, especially one mounted in a wall, that is connected to a power supply and equipped with a socket for a plug.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A vent or similar passage to allow the escape of something.
- n. Something which allows for the release of one's desires.
- n. A river that runs out of a lake.
- n. A shop that sells the products of a particular manufacturer or supplier.
- n. A wall-mounted device such as a socket or receptacle connected to an electrical system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment or appliances.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The place or opening by which anything is let out; a passage out; an exit; a vent.
- transitive v. To let out; to emit.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The place or the opening by which anything is let out, escapes, or is discharged; a passage outward; a means of egress; a place of exit; a vent.
- n. The place or district through which one passes outward; outer part; in the plural, outskirts.
- n. In commerce, a market for the sale of any product.
- n. A lawn or shrubbery adjoining a house, with a walk or passage through it to the highway.
- To let forth; emit.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. receptacle providing a place in a wiring system where current can be taken to run electrical devices
- n. activity that frees or expresses creative energy or emotion
- n. a place of business for retailing goods
- n. an opening that permits escape or release
out + let (Wiktionary)