from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To give or send out (matter or energy): isotopes that emit radioactive particles; a stove emitting heat.
- transitive v. To give out as sound; utter: "She emitted her small strange laugh” ( Edith Wharton).
- transitive v. To voice; express: emit an opinion.
- transitive v. To issue with authority, especially to put (currency) into circulation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To send out or give off.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To send forth; to throw or give out; to cause to issue; to give vent to; to eject; to discharge
- transitive v. To issue forth, as an order or decree; to print and send into circulation, as notes or bills of credit.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To send forth; throw or give out; vent: as, fire emits heat and smoke; boiling water emits steam; the sun and stars emit light.
- To let fly; discharge; dart or shoot.
- To issue, as an order or a decree; issue for circulation, as notes or bills of credit.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. express audibly; utter sounds (not necessarily words)
- v. expel (gases or odors)
- v. give off, send forth, or discharge; as of light, heat, or radiation, vapor, etc.
Nov 20, 2009 (156 views) Yesterday, I posted that the total budget of fossil fuel emissions we can ever emit is 1 trillion ...
Yesterday, I posted that the total budget of fossil fuel emissions we can ever emit is 1 trillion tonnes of Carbon.
Putting the cost on those that emit is a reasonable market solution to the problem.
For what CO2 and water vapor emit is miniscule compared to the buzzing multitude of heated nitrogen, oxygen, and even argon, all of it radiating infrared too.
The level of air pollution that companies can emit is underregulated in the United States, especially with regard to greenhouse gasses.
Wow, the LIGHT POLLUTION they emit is absolutely HORRIBLE.
The cheaper LEDs are less well designed, the colour they emit is mostly cold and rather flat.
Now, every odor we emit is trapped in this house like a fart in a Ziploc baggie.
Many people think you need a fast lens to get them but in reality it’s quite the opposite as the light that the fireworks emit is quite bright.
When she reaches the end of the stage, billows of smoke emit from the dragons’ mouths, and the audience oohs and aahs.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.