from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The sharp whirring or trilling sound made by some insects and birds, such as the grasshopper and partridge.
- intransitive v. To make a sharp whirring sound.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Alternative spelling of chirr.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A vibrant or whirring noise such as that made by some insects, as the cockchafer, or by some birds, as the nightjar, the partridge, etc.
- intransitive v. To make a churr, as a cockchafer.
- transitive v. To utter by churring.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- See chirr.
- n. A name for the whitethroat, Sylvia cinerea. Macgillivray.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. make a vibrant sound, as of some birds
Imitative.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)