from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To give off sparks.
- intransitive v. To give off or reflect flashes of light; glitter. See Synonyms at flash.
- intransitive v. To be brilliant in performance.
- intransitive v. To shine with animation: He has eyes that sparkle.
- intransitive v. To flash with wit: Her conversation sparkled all evening.
- intransitive v. To release gas bubbles; effervesce: Champagne sparkles.
- transitive v. To cause to flash and glitter: Sunlight was sparkling the waves.
- n. A small spark or gleaming particle.
- n. A glittering quality.
- n. Brilliant animation; vivacity.
- n. Emission of gas bubbles; effervescence.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A little spark; a scintillation.
- n. Brilliance; luster
- v. To emit sparks; to throw off ignited or incandescent particles; to shine as if throwing off sparks; to emit flashes of light; to scintillate; to twinkle; as, the blazing wood sparkles; the stars sparkle.
- v. To manifest itself by, or as if by, emitting sparks; to glisten; to flash.
- v. To emit little bubbles, as certain kinds of liquors; to effervesce; as, sparkling wine.
- v. To emit in the form or likeness of sparks.
- v. To disperse.
- v. To scatter on or over.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A little spark; a scintillation.
- n. Brilliancy; luster.
- intransitive v. To emit sparks; to throw off ignited or incandescent particles; to shine as if throwing off sparks; to emit flashes of light; to scintillate; to twinkle.
- intransitive v. To manifest itself by, or as if by, emitting sparks; to glisten; to flash.
- intransitive v. To emit little bubbles, as certain kinds of liquors; to effervesce.
- transitive v. To emit in the form or likeness of sparks.
- transitive v. To disperse.
- transitive v. To scatter on or over.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To emit sparks; send off small ignited particles, as burning fuel, etc.
- To shine as if giving out sparks; glitter; glisten; scintillate, literally or figuratively: as, a brilliant sparkles; a sparkling beauty; sparkling wit.
- Synonyms and
- Scintillate, Glitter, etc. (see glare, verb i.), coruscate.
- To emit with coruscations; throw out sparklingly.
- To scatter; disperse.
- To sprinkle; spatter.
- n. A spark; an ignited or a luminous particle, or something comparable to it; a scintillation; a gleam.
- n. The act or state of sparkling; emission of sparks or scintillations; sparkling luminosity or luster: used literally or figuratively.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the occurrence of a small flash or spark
- n. the quality of shining with a bright reflected light
- v. become bubbly or frothy or foaming
- n. merriment expressed by a brightness or gleam or animation of countenance
- v. be lively or brilliant or exhibit virtuosity
- v. emit or produce sparks
- v. reflect brightly
Authors need to possess a certain sparkle in order to promote their work.
Maybe getting that Bieber sparkle is worth an extra hour of babysitting.
I think that the sparkle is unusual for daytime, but it seems to fit the unusually cold weather much of the country has been having.
And I will try to become the dolphin again, swimming freely in that beautiful, wild sea, flying a middle flipper at any attractive nets that sparkle from the horizon.
But what she does look, despite all that shimmer and sparkle, is unavoidably sad.
Attention to details such as layered ruffling, pleating, soft buttery leather, and the sparkle from a jewel is necessary!
What that business lacks in sparkle, it makes up for with reliable recurring income.
This would be one of those times I really REALLY wanted telekinesis or to at least be able to make something sparkle from a distance.
Most words I love to use are ones that give me a good vibe about situations: sparkle is a big favorite.
A power play that should sparkle is in the middle of the NHL pack.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.