from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A state of joyful exuberance or merriment; vivacity.
- n. Merry or joyful activity; festivity: making preparations for the holiday gaieties.
- n. Bright color or showiness, as of dress; finery.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state of being happy.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Same as gayety.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being gay; cheerful animation; mirthfulness.
- n. Action or acts prompted by or inspiring merry delight; a pleasure: commonly in the plural: as, the gaieties of the season.
- n. Finery; showiness: as, gaiety of dress.
- n. Synonyms Life, Liveliness, etc. (see animation); cheerfulness. joyousness, blitheness. glee, jollity.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a gay feeling
- n. a festive merry feeling
French gaieté, from Old French, from gai, cheerful; see gay.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French gaieté, from French gai (Wiktionary)