from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Boisterous, jovial commotion or excitement.
- n. Extravagant publicity: The new sedan was introduced to the public with much hoopla.
- n. Informal Talk intended to mislead or confuse.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a bustling to-do
- n. excited speech or noise, usually loud
- n. a carnival game in which the player attempts to throw hoops around pegs
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. blatant or sensational promotion
Perhaps from French houp-là, upsy-daisy! : houp (of imitative origin) + là, there; see voilà.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)