Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Natural ebullition; that commotion of a fluid which takes place when some part of the mass flies off in a gaseous form, producing small bubbles: as, the effervescence or working of new wine, cider, or beer; the effervescence of a carbonate with nitric acid, in consequence of chemical action and decomposition producing carbon dioxid or carbonic-acid gas.
- n. Figuratively, strong excitement; manifestation of feeling.
- n. Synonyms See ebullition.
- n. the escape of gas from solution in a liquid, especially the escape of carbon dioxide from a carbonated drink
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A kind of natural ebullition; that commotion of a fluid which takes place when some part of the mass flies off in a gaseous form, producing innumerable small bubbles.
- n. the property of giving off bubbles
- n. the process of bubbling as gas escapes
- From French effervescence. (Wiktionary)
“Wherever she appeared, the vivid personality of Mrs. Stewart made a kind of effervescence which that indescribable entity, a vivid personality, is sure to keep fizzing about it.”
“The "effervescence" he refers to was chlorine, which he proceeded to confine in a suitable vessel and examine more fully.”
“Except in years he was not young; he could not manage to be "clubable"; he was serious and awkward at a supper party; he was altogether without the effervescence which is necessary in order to avoid flatness.”
“The effervescence which is appearing in all quarters, and the desertion of their followers, will frown them into silence -- at least for a while.”
“For the rest, that there is 'effervescence' who doubts?”
“I think the danger of bringing back the old cast is that it'll look like a stunt," admits Sinclair, who is quick to add, however, that Spelling brings a welcome "effervescence" to the show.”
“effervescence" acid and alkaline juices are formed, and through their abnormal mixture hyperacidity and hyperalkalinity (i.e., sickness) originate.”
“For wrath created by grief he shows is a kind of effervescence of the blood and the spirit in it as in the following (I. i.”
“The effervescence which is appearing in all quarters, and the desertion of their followers, will frown them into silence ” at least for a while.”
Life and Times of Washington
These user-created lists contain the word ‘effervescence’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Professional copy editor
Significant Words- Guiding you on your path to Snazzibility
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favorite word" and adds it to this list.
unfathomably, glice, cuh, fab, ciggaty, doll, thuggin, oxymoronic, pineapple, succubutt, griming, cheeky and 3027 more...
mostly from magoosh
The Velvetine Ruffians
Looking for tweets for effervescence.