American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To make silent or quiet.
- v. To calm; soothe.
- v. To keep from public knowledge; suppress mention of. Often used with up: tried to hush up the damaging details.
- v. To be or become silent or still.
- n. A silence or stillness, especially after noise.
- adj. Archaic Silent; quiet.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To reduce to silence; make still or quiet; check or suppress the sound of.
- To appease; allay; calm, as commotion or agitation.
- In mining, to clear off (the soil and surface dirt), in order to expose the bed-rock, so that it can be ascertained whether there are indications of a vein or metalliferous deposit.
- To be still; be silent or quiet; make no noise.
- Forbear; be still; hist; attend.
- n. A state of stillness; profound quiet.
- Silent; still; quiet.
- v. intransitive to become quiet
- v. transitive to make quiet
- n. A silence, especially after some noise
- n. A mining method using water
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To still; to silence; to calm; to make quiet; to repress the noise or clamor of.
- v. To appease; to allay; to calm; to soothe.
- v. To become or to keep still or quiet; to become silent; -- esp. used in the imperative, as an exclamation; be still; be silent or quiet; make no noise.
- n. rare Stillness; silence; quiet.
- adj. Silent; quiet.
- v. become quiet or still; fall silent
- v. run water over the ground to erode (soil), revealing the underlying strata and valuable minerals
- v. wash by removing particles
- n. (poetic) tranquil silence
- v. become quiet or quieter
- v. cause to be quiet or not talk
- Probably back-formation from Middle English husht, silent, of imitative origin. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“If we get a really good title out, then expect me to reward the contributor (s) with a very special gift. * hush hush*”
“Plus shocking allegations from Nicole Brown ` s sister that the families were offered what she called hush money.”
“O.J. outrage, tonight an unbelievable new twist, shocking allegations from Nicole Brown ` s sister that the families were offered what she calls hush money from the people who put together Simpson ` s offensive confession TV special and book.”
“And it still -- what really bothers me is the harsh reality that over the past 20 years, the church is paid over $1 billion in what I call hush money to victims, to be quiet.”
“Any organization that can pass out hundreds of millions in hush-money can damn-well afford to pay taxes.”
“And when Ensign had his parents pay $96k in hush money.”
“They are all on facebook, myspace, etc … would be bound to run into too many people they know on POF so may prefer to use a pay site where it can all remain hush, hush.”
“After all, why wouldn't we wonder if the man behind wise crackin ', hush-yo-mouth Medea of many films and TV sitcom House of Payne can take on such fare as this?”
“If you are a republican and cry over money you are not a good republican or you have to pay a lot in hush money to cover your bad habits.”
“The 25k he ended up doling out, in hush money, if way too much low-balling it.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘hush’.
Words formed in imitation of the sound of the things they signify.
This is an experiment in public lists--something I've been thinking about for some time. The goal is to create a collection of short, powerful, evocative words.
This is an open list. A...
Imperatives only, please. :-)
words that describe sound
words for quiet sounds
( randomness, descriptive )
Words only (I left out the expressions) from Geza Kerenyi's EN-HU interpreters' dictionary. Most of them pose some difficulty when interpreted between HU and EN in either or both directions.
Words relating to quiet, inactivity, peace.
Words that sound pretty.
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favorite word" and adds it to this list.
grabbable, retuiteando, leaving, fantastic, absolutely, kurwa, hella, ridic, underpass, hate, interlude, plush and 2369 more...
Words that make me feel cozy
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
My big word list.
Looking for tweets for hush.