from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To bring peace, quiet, or calm to; soothe.
- transitive v. To satisfy or relieve: appease one's thirst.
- transitive v. To pacify or attempt to pacify (an enemy) by granting concessions, often at the expense of principle. See Synonyms at pacify.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To make quiet; to calm; to reduce to a state of peace; to dispel (anger or hatred).
- v. To come to terms with; to adapt to the demands of.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To make quiet; to calm; to reduce to a state of peace; to still; to pacify; to dispel (anger or hatred)
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To bring to a state of peace; pacify; quiet by allaying anger, indignation, strife, etc.
- To allay; calm, as an excited state of feeling; remove, as a passion or violent emotion.
- To assuage or soothe, as bodily pain; satisfy, as an appetite or desire: as, to appease the smart of a wound, or one's hunger.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. cause to be more favorably inclined; gain the good will of
- v. overcome or allay
- v. make peace with
And why did the conservative Chamberlain appease Hitler so much?
I believing in appease the Corporate Power and the bourgeoisie.
I don't want to raise the word appease, but is there a tendency in Europe to appease the radical Islamists -- Chris.
You have said 'the Muslim faithful fight', you have said 'Muslims have a monopoly on terrorisms', you have used the word 'appease' - I call you: off topic, and stirring, and with an agenda I am not goign to indulge on this blog any more, which is not a place for stirring up race or faith-hatred.
It doesn’t surprise me that a much more diverse group with specialty constituencies to appease is balking here.
Blackfire in its defense, claims that it paid more than $17,000 to the Mayor of Chicomuselo, for him, to 'appease' his local constituents.
As long as politicians control parks they will use them as political levers to achieve other goals such as appease key special interest groups.
Santorum, the former Pennsylvania senator, said the president is spurning European allies in order to "appease" Russia - "a potential foe."
It makes no sense for Labour (or indeed any national party) to 'appease' such an electorally insignificant group in order to get their votes.
I have an idea: let's "appease" Iran by giving them WV, KY, and HRC?!!
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.