American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To bring peace, quiet, or calm to; soothe.
- v. To satisfy or relieve: appease one's thirst.
- v. To pacify or attempt to pacify (an enemy) by granting concessions, often at the expense of principle. See Synonyms at pacify.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To bring to a state of peace; pacify; quiet by allaying anger, indignation, strife, etc.
- To allay; calm, as an excited state of feeling; remove, as a passion or violent emotion.
- To assuage or soothe, as bodily pain; satisfy, as an appetite or desire: as, to appease the smart of a wound, or one's hunger. Synonyms To satisfy, hush, quell (see list under
allay); propitiate, conciliate.
- v. To make quiet; to calm; to reduce to a state of peace; to dispel (anger or hatred).
- v. To come to terms with; to adapt to the demands of.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To make quiet; to calm; to reduce to a state of peace; to still; to pacify; to dispel (anger or hatred)
- v. cause to be more favorably inclined; gain the good will of
- v. overcome or allay
- v. make peace with
- From Middle English apesen, from Old French apeser ("to pacify, bring to peace"), from a ("to") + pais, modification of French paix ("peace"); see peace. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English appesen, from Old French apesier : a-, to (from Latin ad-; see ad-) + pais, peace (from Latin pāx; see pag- in Indo-European roots). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“And why did the conservative Chamberlain appease Hitler so much?”
“I believing in appease the Corporate Power and the bourgeoisie.”
“I don't want to raise the word appease, but is there a tendency in Europe to appease the radical Islamists -- Chris.”
“You have said 'the Muslim faithful fight', you have said 'Muslims have a monopoly on terrorisms', you have used the word 'appease' - I call you: off topic, and stirring, and with an agenda I am not goign to indulge on this blog any more, which is not a place for stirring up race or faith-hatred.”
“It doesn’t surprise me that a much more diverse group with specialty constituencies to appease is balking here.”
“Blackfire in its defense, claims that it paid more than $17,000 to the Mayor of Chicomuselo, for him, to 'appease' his local constituents.”
“As long as politicians control parks they will use them as political levers to achieve other goals such as appease key special interest groups.”
“Santorum, the former Pennsylvania senator, said the president is spurning European allies in order to "appease" Russia - "a potential foe.”
“It makes no sense for Labour (or indeed any national party) to 'appease' such an electorally insignificant group in order to get their votes.”
“I have an idea: let's "appease" Iran by giving them WV, KY, and HRC?!!”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘appease’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Protagonists and relevant words in the Book of Creation (Source: King James Bible)
a reflection on the Indo-European root pag & pak to fasten
List of most of the words I've learned
Looking for tweets for appease.