from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Political division of an area into partially autonomous regions.
- n. Advocacy of such a political system.
- n. Loyalty to the interests of a particular region.
- n. A feature, such as an expression, a pronunciation, or a custom, that is characteristic of a geographic area.
- n. The use of regional characteristics, as of locale, custom, or speech, in literature or art.
- n. A policy whereby the interests of a nation in world affairs are defined in terms of particular countries or regions.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Affection, often excessive, to one's own region and to everything related to it.
- n. Political tendency to concede forms of politico-administrative autonomy to regions.
- n. A word or phrase originating in, characteristic of, or limited to a region.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Localism.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a foreign policy that defines the international interests of a country in terms of particular geographic areas
- n. loyalty to the interests of a particular region
- n. a feature (as a pronunciation or expression or custom) that is characteristic of a particular region
regional + -ism (Wiktionary)