from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to China or its peoples, languages, or cultures.
- n. A native or inhabitant of China.
- n. A person of Chinese ancestry.
- n. See Han1.
- n. The sole member of the Sinitic branch of the Sino-Tibetan language family, consisting of numerous languages and dialects such as Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese, and Fujian.
- n. Any of the Sinitic varieties of speech spoken by the Chinese people.
- n. The official national language of China; Mandarin.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. Any language spoken in China, especially Literary Chinese, Mandarin, Cantonese, Wu, or Min Nan.
- proper n. The class of Sino-Tibetan dialects including Mandarin, Wu, Cantonese, Min Nan and others.
- proper n. The logographic writing system shared by this language family.
- proper n. Mandarin: the official language of the People's Republic of China
- n. The people of China.
- n. All people of Chinese descent or self-identity
- n. A person from China or of Chinese descent.
- n. Chinese food or meal.
- adj. Of China, its languages or people
- adj. Unexpected, as used in the phrases Chinese whispers, Chinese burn, Chinese auction.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to China; peculiar to China.
- n. A native or natives of China, or one of that yellow race with oblique eyelids who live principally in China.
- n. The language of China, which is monosyllabic.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to China.
- n. singular and plural (plural also formerly Chineses). A native or natives of China; specifically, a member or members of the principal indigenous race of China proper, as distinguished from other Mongoloids, such as the Manchus, the present ruling race in the Chinese empire.
- n. The language of China.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to or characteristic of the island republic on Taiwan or its residents or their language
- n. a native or inhabitant of Communist China or of Nationalist China
- adj. of or pertaining to China or its peoples or cultures
- n. any of the Sino-Tibetan languages spoken in China; regarded as dialects of a single language (even though they are mutually unintelligible) because they share an ideographic writing system
From China + -ese. (Wiktionary)