American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- A country of Central America on the Caribbean Sea. A British colony in the late 19th century, it became self-governing in 1964 and independent in 1981. Belmopan is the capital. Population: 294,000.
- The largest city of Belize, in the eastern part of the country on the Caribbean Sea at the mouth of the Belize River. It was devastated by a hurricane in 1961. The capital was moved from here to Belmopan in 1970. Population: 63,700.
- n. An English-speaking country in Central America, formerly called British Honduras. Official name: Belize. The capital is Belmopan, and the chief seaport is Belize City.
- n. a country on the northeastern coast of Central America on the Caribbean; formerly under British control
- Spanish transcription of Wallace after a buccaneer's surname, or Mayan beliz ("muddy water") (Wiktionary)
“CAYE CAULKER, BELIZE: You can reach Caye Caulker, just off the coast of Belize, by water taxi from Belize City or San Pedro, or by a 10-minute flight from either Belize International Airport or Belize City Municipal Airstrip.”
“BELIZE - On the east cost of Central America, Belize is the heart of the Caribbean and a popular destination for private jet travel.”
“One of the things I noticed in Belize is that the only beer on tap anywhere we went was Beliken (the local beer) and Guinness!”
“An estimated 10,000 people in Belize took refuge at storm shelters in schools and churches ahead of the arrival of the storm, and there were no reports of deaths.”
“Scientists mapping the ruins of the abandoned Maya city of Caracol in Belize knew they had tackled a big job, uncovering the city from the encroaching jungle.”
“I have lived in Belize for 2 years and have decided to bring down some of my stuff as it is the place I am choosing to spend the rest of my life at.”
“Maybe its time to start doing something with that property I bought in Belize!”
“In the presentation I made at the global Responsible Tourism Conference in Belize last October, I echoed the voices of tourists and locals who I have been working with by calling for practical actions that go beyond the notable sentiments.”
“Update: A slideshow - A Paradise of Birds in Belize (with great images and sound effect)”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Belize’.
Looking for tweets for Belize.