Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A Portuguese money of account: 1,000 reis make a milreis, which is of the value of 4s. 5d. sterling, or about $1.08. Large sums are calculated in cantos of reis, or amounts of 1,000,000 reis ($1,080). In Brazil the milreis is reckoned at about; 55 cents. Also
- n. Same as ras, 2.
- n. A chief, person with authority
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The word is used as a Portuguese designation of money of account, one hundred reis being about equal in value to eleven cents.
- n. A common title in the East for a person in authority, especially the captain of a ship.
- From Arabic رئيس (ra’īs, "head, chief, leader") (Wiktionary)
“The reis was the proper companion for Harry, being a respectable fellow, and wearing some clothes.”
“The reis was a sleepy old crock," Belmont continued; "but I have absolute confidence in the promptness and decision of my wife.”
“The iShares JPMorgan USD Emerging Markets Bond ETF holds debt denominated in U.S. dollars, while Market Vectors Emerging Markets Local Currency Bond is a basket of government securities issued in Brazilian reis, Chilean pesos, Russian rubles and so on.”
“Nederlands · Saudi-Arabië: Gedachten over een reis naar Londen”
“Heel deze commotie ontstaat omdat ze PERSE NU deze reis wil maken.”
“Maar ik denk dat de wereld er over 5 jaar ook nog wel is en dan kan ze deze reis ook maken.”
“Vijf dagen later, na veel lezen en googelen over de reis de route en het meisje moet ik mijn mening herzien.”
“Nederlands · Nieuw-Zeeland: Bloggers reageren op voorgenomen reis van Maori-partij naar Fiji”
“She now earns 10,000 reis, the equivalent of $5,800 per month.”
“His mining company MMX Mineracao e Metalico SA raised 1.2 billion reis in 2006, energy subsidiary MPX Energia raised 2.2 billion reais in 2007 and then oil company OGX raised 6.7 billion reais, without confirmed reserves, in 2008.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘reis’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
I'm wading through Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin novels one by one, and someday, I'll wade through them again and list all the words I learned while reading them.
Edit: I started ma...
A list of all known Heroic Classes available to players of the game Sburb within the Homestuck universe, as well as any other words I can think of which would theoretically adhere to the known guid...
Words rounded up while reading The Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain.
Looking for tweets for reis.