American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A sleazy condition, quality, or appearance: "His record of public service is untouched by any stain of shadiness or sleaze” ( James J. Kilpatrick).
- n. uncountable low moral standards
- n. countable a person with low moral standards
- n. countable (the commonest instance of the above) a man who is sexually aggressive or forward with women to the point of disgust
- n. tastelessness by virtue of being cheap and vulgar
- From “sleazy”, originally used to describe the thinness and low quality of cloth (Wiktionary)
- Back-formation from sleazy. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Tinseltown (warner Bros) is even importing sleaze from the United Kingdom.”
“Bunning and the rest of the republican sleaze is what was left over …”
“As I have said before in the BBC's eyes Tory sleaze is a major story and the person implicated must go.”
“In contrast, Labour sleaze is just not possible and if proved is just inconvenient and any resignation must be accompanied by expressions of regret.”
“Tory sleaze is of interest to the BBC, Labour sleaze shhhhhh”
“Tory splits", like "Tory sleaze" is a serious BBC news story and will be given headline coverage.”
“I see that the BBC have mover the Peter Hain sleaze story.”
“The BBC coverage of the Speaker Martin sleaze story”
“Of course, sleaze is what your party is all about.”
“However, ongoing revelations of sleaze from the Rezko trial have prompted an increase in the volume of chatter and the degree of certainty that the other shoe is going to drop on Blago sometime soon.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sleaze’.
Words and collocations associated with political scandal
"A new word created by removing an affix from an already existing word, as vacuum clean from vacuum cleaner, or by removing what is mistakenly thought to be an affix, as pea from the earlier Englis...
My big word list.
Words as I learn them.
These are words I like, but I realized do not belong on my poetry list. This is probably because they are mostly about sex.
Looking for tweets for sleaze.