American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Shabby, dirty, and vulgar; tawdry: "sleazy storefronts with torn industrial carpeting and dirt on the walls” ( Seattle Weekly).
- adj. Dishonest or corrupt; disreputable: Some sleazy characters hang around casinos.
- adj. Made of low-quality materials; cheap or shoddy.
- adj. Thin and loosely woven; flimsy: The coat has a sleazy lining.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of thin or flimsy substance; composed of poor or light material: said of a textile fabric.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Wanting firmness of texture or substance; thin; flimsy.
- adj. of cloth; thin and loosely woven
- adj. morally degraded
- adj. of very poor quality; flimsy.
- Origin unknown. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Formerly, one had to go seeking, and disregard the possibility of being seen in sleazy places, purchasing videos, buying the magazines – but the computer and the cable tv bring it in the house where boys (and husbands) can be lured and addicted – and girls too.”
“Blaine and Helena marry; Helena dies in sleazy circumstances.”
“The problem with most of these types of sites is that they go up and down and often end up covered in sleazy ads that trick you into clicking the wrong thing — though Vixy seems to be a solid option for now.”
“People shot and stabbed and strangled each other in sleazy bars and hillside mansions, strip malls, abandoned houses and parking lots.”
“Live Girls" by Ray Garton - Fun 80's splatterpunk book set in sleazy old Times Square”
“JPMorgan's in-house foreclosure operation was described as a sleazy operation where "Burger King kids" - untrained young people - were hired to foreclose on homeowners.”
“There are far more glamorous poses they could have struck, but GQ wanted sleazy and sleazy is what they delivered.”
“The up-tick in sleazy anti-Clinton articles and biased talking head commentators in the media are so blatantly devoid of substance it's astounding!”
“The only thing sleazy is the way Bill Clinton acts.”
“Hidden cameras were not placed in sleazy hotel rooms to gain evidence.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sleazy’.
Since English is littered with loanwords, everything could conceivably end up here. But there is a distinct feeling associated with these.. maybe they're young additions to the English language; I ...
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Beautiful, attractive, well-formed
Ugly, unattractive, malformed
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words that are a pain in the ass to type in on a numerical keypad on a cell phone because they have consecutive letters that share the same button:
2 - ABC
3 - DEF
4 - GHI...
What a -Y does to an otherwise common, dull word
Words that relate to, or come from, the weaving trade.
Words that I use regularly and consider mine.
Words as I learn them.
Hecko, words! I’m so happy I’ve found you. I want to keep you all and never want to lose you again. I hope you like it here.
words that are mostly fun to say or just lovely
Looking for tweets for sleazy.