from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having qualities or characteristics more often associated with women than men. See Synonyms at female.
- adj. Characterized by weakness and excessive refinement.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having behaviour or mannerisms considered unmasculine or typical of a woman or girl; feminine.
- v. To make womanly; to unman.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having some characteristic of a woman, as delicacy, luxuriousness, etc.; soft or delicate to an unmanly degree; womanish; weak.
- adj. Womanlike; womanly; tender; -- in a good sense.
- transitive v. To make womanish; to make soft and delicate; to weaken.
- intransitive v. To grow womanish or weak.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make womanish; unman; weaken.
- To grow womanish or weak; melt into weakness.
- Having the qualities of the female sex; soft or delicate to an unmanly degree; womanish: applied to men.
- Characterized by or resulting from effeminacy: as, an effeminate peace; an effeminate life.
- Womanlike; tender.
- Synonyms Womanish, etc. (see feminine), weak, unmanly.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having unsuitable feminine qualities
Middle English effeminat, from Latin effēminātus, past participle of effēmināre, to make feminine : ex-, ex- + fēmina, woman; see dhē(i)- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin effēminātus, past participle of effēmināre. (Wiktionary)