American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Having qualities or characteristics more often associated with women than men. See Synonyms at female.
- adj. Characterized by weakness and excessive refinement.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make womanish; unman; weaken.
- To grow womanish or weak; melt into weakness.
- Having the qualities of the female sex; soft or delicate to an unmanly degree; womanish: applied to men.
- Characterized by or resulting from effeminacy: as, an effeminate peace; an effeminate life.
- Womanlike; tender.
- Synonyms Womanish, etc. (see feminine), weak, unmanly.
- adj. of a man or boy Having behaviour or mannerisms considered unmasculine or typical of a woman or girl; feminine.
- v. archaic To make womanly; to unman.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Having some characteristic of a woman, as delicacy, luxuriousness, etc.; soft or delicate to an unmanly degree; womanish; weak.
- adj. Womanlike; womanly; tender; -- in a good sense.
- v. To make womanish; to make soft and delicate; to weaken.
- v. To grow womanish or weak.
- adj. having unsuitable feminine qualities
- From Latin effēminātus, past participle of effēmināre. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English effeminat, from Latin effēminātus, past participle of effēmināre, to make feminine : ex-, ex- + fēmina, woman; see dhē(i)- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“It's the "unbecoming" part that leads me to associate the word effeminate with a degree of campiness that I don't believe applies to Renly and Loras.”
“The adjectives and derivatives based on woman's distinctions are alien and derogatory when applied to human affairs; "effeminate" -- too female, connotes contempt, but has no masculine analogue; whereas "emasculate" -- not enough male, is a term of reproach, and has no feminine analogue.”
“But the male assumes his influence to be normal, human, and the female influence as wholly a matter of sex; therefore, where women teach boys, the boys become "effeminate" -- a grievous fall.”
“His complexion might in itself be called effeminate, its bloom was so fresh and delicate; but there was so much of boldness and energy in the play of his countenance, the hardy outline of the lips, and the open breadth of the forehead, that "effeminate" was an epithet no one ever assigned to his aspect.”
“I wonder how much the boys' recourse to "prescribed" externalizations of genuine depression-- particularly boys who have a real hangup about being "effeminate"-- winds up in the form of almost exclusively emotionally abusive relationships.”
“If men engage in homosexual act or a homosexual relationship and they are perceived as being effeminate, that is when they are more likely to be the victims of persecution.”
“In other cultures he might be described as effeminate and, therefore, be an object of derision.”
“That which is soft and effeminate, which is calculated to excite the passions, by multitudes of ambiguous expressions, (not the less dangerous for being so cloaked) should be considered by Christians as an abuse the more deplorable, as it has even been censured and condemned by the pagans.”
“Taken as a whole, there is something impalpable and immaterial about him, which I will not venture to call effeminate, but which is scarcely manly.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘effeminate’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Key words from "The Training of a Public Speaker" by Grenville Kleiser (New York and London, 1920)
an immense, grandiloquent list that loads like a thousand years sentence in stone. new words are in the other lists.
All my favourite words that I come across!
words learnt from the Internet
Words from the new GRE : This list consists mostly of words from the book Magoosh-GRE-vocab-ebook, which is one of the best vocab materials available, especially if you have started preparing one ...
The path meanders through the vineyards
-a unit of language consisting of one or more spoken sounds or their written representation, that functions as a principal carrier of meaning.
Looking for tweets for effeminate.