from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A woman whose sexual orientation is to women.
- adj. Of, relating to, or being a lesbian. See Usage Note at gay.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Homosexual; preferring female romantic or sexual partners.
- adj. Homosexual, specifically between two women.
- adj. Intended for lesbians.
- n. A homosexual female, a woman who is sexually or romantically attracted to other women.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the island anciently called Lesbos, now Mitylene, in the Grecian Archipelago.
- adj. Amatory; erotic; -- in allusion to the reputed sensuality of the Lesbian people and literature.
- adj. homosexual; -- applied to female homosexuals.
- n. a female homosexual.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to the island of Lesbos in the Ægean sea, which belonged in ancient times, together with the adjoining part of the coast of Asia Minor, to the district called Æolis, and was the home of a famous school of lyric poets, including Alcæus, Sappho, and others.
- n. A native or an inhabitant of Lesbos.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a female homosexual
- n. a resident of Lesbos
- adj. of or relating to or characterized by homosexual relations between woman
From the putative homosexuality of Sappho, lyric poet of Lesbos.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin Lesbiana, from Ancient Greek Λέσβος (Lesbos) + Latin adjective suffix -iana; by reference to Sappho of Lesbos (whence also sapphist), known for her sentimental poems about women. (Wiktionary)