American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A member of the genus Homo, which includes the extinct and extant species of humans.
- n. Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a gay man or lesbian.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The typical and single genus of Hominidæ mankind; the human race. It was formally instituted by Linnæus in his “Systema Naturæ” in 1758, with H. sapiens, man, as its type and leading species; but it also then included the chimpanzee, H. troglodytes. Naturalists now restrict it to H. sapiens, it being generally conceded that mankind constitutes one zoological genus having one species with several geographical races or varieties.
- n. An element in some compounds of Greek origin, meaning ‘the same’: opposed to hetero-.
- n. colloquial, often pejorative Short form of homosexual.
- n. uncountable, dated, US, Canada Homogenized milk with a high butterfat content.
- adj. colloquial (sometimes pejorative) Of or pertaining to homosexuality.
- adj. not comparable (Canada, US) Homogenized; almost always said of milk with a high butterfat content.
- n. any living or extinct member of the family Hominidae characterized by superior intelligence, articulate speech, and erect carriage
- n. someone who practices homosexuality; having a sexual attraction to persons of the same sex
- A clipping of words formed from Greek ὁμο- (homo-, meaning same). (Wiktionary)
- Latin homō, man; see dhghem- in Indo-European roots.Short for homosexual. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“_Unus homo, nullus homo_" is a Latin proverb which means that one man alone is no man at all.”
“For we must vnderstand that the spirit of God there, speaking of sciences, vnderstandes them that are lawfull; for except they be lawfull, they are but _abusiuè_ called sciences, & are but ignorances indeede: _Nam homo pictus, non est homo_.”
“By the official promulgation to the term homoöusion, theological speculation received”
“At the Council of Nicea (325 AD), the Second Person was declared to be consubstantial with the Father, where the term homo-ousios became the consecrated word for expressing perfect numerical identity of nature between the Father and His Son who became incarnate.”
“Paul cites homosexuality ( "homo" comes from the Greek word meaning "same," not the Latin homo, "man") not because it is a worse sin but because it exemplifies better than other sins the very nature of sin, which is the perversion of an original good, and hence idolatry.”
“It's why I came up with the term homo sap to describe them.”
“I notice it came from the Latin word homo -- a man.”
“I-right-I employs the same M.O. w/strikingly similiar rhetoric. any attempt to debate winds up mired in homo-erotic flaming.”
“And yes, many of them argue that the only acceptable homo is the celebate and virginal homo.”
“We are social mammals -- we are not lone tigers, as those who believe in homo economus would have us be, any more than we are social insects, as the socialists would have us be.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘homo’.
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favourite word" and adds it to this list.
gonk, nerking, guap, gimp, fabulous, dabble, fabilicious, tragic, zooted, hey, cheekini, nugget and 457 more...
Words I like!
( personal list, favorite words, randomness )
As many queer related words as I can come up with ^_^
In response to a recent conversation on Wordie. Not intended as the Geto Boys intended the line, I'm sure.
Looking for tweets for homo.