from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A member of the genus Homo, which includes the extinct and extant species of humans.
- n. Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a gay man or lesbian.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Short form of homosexual.
- n. Homogenized milk with a high butterfat content.
- adj. (sometimes pejorative) Of or pertaining to homosexuality.
- adj. (Canada, US) Homogenized; almost always said of milk with a high butterfat content.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The typical and single genus of Hominidæ mankind; the human race.
- n. An element in some compounds of Greek origin, meaning ‘the same’: opposed to hetero-.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any living or extinct member of the family Hominidae characterized by superior intelligence, articulate speech, and erect carriage
- n. someone who practices homosexuality; having a sexual attraction to persons of the same sex
Latin homō, man; see dhghem- in Indo-European roots.
Short for homosexual.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
A clipping of words formed from Greek ὁμο- (homo-, meaning same). (Wiktionary)