from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A primate of the family Hominidae, of which Homo sapiens is the only extant species.
- adj. Of the Hominidae.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any primate of the family Hominidae. All the great apes (Humans, chimpanzees, bonobos, gorillas and orangutans).
- adj. Of the Hominidae
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of the Hominidæ; a man.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. characterizing the family Hominidae, which includes Homo sapiens as well as extinct species of manlike creatures
- n. a primate of the family Hominidae
From New Latin Hominidae, family name, from Latin homō, homin-, man; see dhghem- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)