from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various extinct primates, such as pithecanthropus, sometimes considered intermediate in evolution between the anthropoid apes and modern humans. Not in scientific usage.
- n. A person or creature held to combine characteristics of apes and humans, as:
- n. A brawny or brutish man.
- n. An archetype of the primitive or instinctual aspect of human nature: "The superman has created the airplane and the radio, the ape-man has got hold of them” ( Los Angeles Times).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name given to a hypothetical ape-like man, or speechless primitive man, intermediate in character between the highest anthropoid apes and human beings, and conjectured by Haeckel to have been the progenitor of the human race.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. hypothetical organism formerly thought to be intermediate between apes and human beings
- n. a person assumed to have been raised by apes
Sorry, no etymologies found.