American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Relating to or resembling a tree.
- adj. Living in trees; arboreous: arboreal apes.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or of the nature of trees.
- Living on or among trees; inhabiting or frequenting forests.
- adj. Of, relating to, or resembling a tree; treely.
- adj. Living in or among trees.
- n. Any tree-dwelling creature.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to a tree, or to trees; of nature of trees.
- adj. Attached to, found in or upon, or frequenting, woods or trees.
- adj. of or relating to or formed by trees
- adj. inhabiting or frequenting trees
- adj. resembling a tree in form and branching structure
- From Latin arbor ("tree"). (Wiktionary)
- From Latin arboreus, from arbor, tree. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“It's actually arboreal, which is quite extraordinary when you think about it.”
“Specialist organisms such as arboreal lichens, wood-rotting fungi, and mosses and invertebrates have declined with the decrease in large old trees, snags, and logs.”
“As opposed to, say, spiders or scorpions I guess you don't need binocular vision to pick those up... or some kind of arboreal predator like huge birds of prey or big cats.”
“The poem is part of a kind of arboreal sub-genre within Wordsworth's nature verse and continues the modification of the eighteenth-century Georgic he had previously made in "Yew-Trees" and The Excursion.”
“So I wonder if the reptilean ancestors of the birds had a cursorial or an arboreal approach to early flight ….”
“Large brains and other adaptations are later, but it would appear that it may have been the chimps and gorillas who developed adaptations for arboreal life, and in the process shifted to walking on all fours and putting weight on the knuckles of their hands -- rather than these being features that our ancestors shed.”
“There's lots to discover locally – the area is honeycombed with caverns – or for crazy arboreal activity, Go Ape, with its zip wires and tarzan swings is half an hour's drive north-west of the farm.”
“It's the next best thing to xkcd -- which is saying quite a bit -- and its combination of snark, social commentary, and skewering of pseudoscience is made all the more hilarious by the starring role of two sentient arboreal crustaceans.”
“Dr Mary Ann LundSchool of English, University of Leicester• Let's not have a spate of arboreal puns Letters, 22 February.”
“Holten is now an expert on the Concourse arboreal ecology: the tree museum includes a map of the locations and names of some 100 trees, which together cover some 60 species.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘arboreal’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Building a list for standardized test prep or just for learning some new words! Please add any words that you feel are important for the SAT/GRE/GMAT etc...
List of most of the words I've learned
States of ment.
Looking for tweets for arboreal.