from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The wood of a coniferous tree.
- n. A coniferous tree.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The wood from any conifer (or from Ginkgo), without regarding how soft this wood is.
- n. (in more general use) As the preceding but limited to those that are commercial timbers.
- n. The tree or tree species that yields the preceding
- n. A joint term for the commercial timbers, without distinguishing which.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See Myrsine.
- n. A needle-leaved, coniferous tree.
- As applied to trees and logs, needle-leaved; coniferous.
- In horticulture, designating the ‘wood’ or twig that is not yet hardened or ripened; green wood: used with reference to the making of cuttings. Compare hardwood.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. wood that is easy to saw (from conifers such as pine or fir)
Sorry, no etymologies found.