from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Measuring two units by four units, especially inches.
- adj. Slang Small in size; boxed in or cramped: a two-by-four apartment.
- n. A length of lumber that is 2 inches thick and 4 inches wide, or that is trimmed to slightly smaller dimensions.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. measuring two inches by four inches
- adj. small or cramped
- n. A length of timber having this cross section. (Note: often this is dimensional lumber that was this size BEFORE being planed to finished form, which removes a quarter inch from each side.)
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a timber measuring (slightly under) 2 inches by 4 inches in cross section
Sorry, no etymologies found.