American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The human race; humankind. See Usage Note at man.
- n. Men as opposed to women.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The human race; men collectively.
- n. The masculine division of humanity; men, as distinguished from women.
- n. Human kindness; humanity.
- Resembling man, not woman, in form or nature; unwomanly; masculine; coarse; bold.
- Of virile power; strong; ferocious; furious.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The human race; man, taken collectively.
- n. Men, as distinguished from women; the male portion of human race.
- n. Obs Human feelings; humanity.
- adj. Obs Manlike; not womanly; masculine; bold; cruel.
- n. all of the living human inhabitants of the earth
- From Middle English mankinde, mankende, mankunde, mankuinde, alteration (due to kinde, kunde ("kind, nature, sort")) of earlier mankin, mankun, mancun ("mankind"), from Old English mancynn; equivalent to man + kin, and/or man + -kind. Cognate with Scots mankind, Middle High German mankünne, Danish mandkøn, Swedish mankön, Icelandic mannkyn ("mankind"). See also mankin. (Wiktionary)
“The rule and the subordination which is essential to the existence of the family, God made commensurate with mankind; for _mankind is only the congeries of families_.”
“And as you _admonish_ me for suggesting that God originally designed death for the good of mankind you cannot be consistent with yourself, as I can see, without believing that God originally designed death for a _damage_ to _mankind_.”
“II. iii.67 (297,2) [A mankind witch:] A _mankind_ woman, is yet used in the midland counties, for a woman violent, ferocious, and mischievous.”
“You believe mankind is stupid and fallible and that America will destroy itself in a bloody mess.”
“Although I agree that mankind is stupid and fallible, the rest probably doesn't accurately reflect anything, as the latter aren't among my choices.”
“I ended my conversation with Marco by asking which he thought would come first: mankind is conquered by robots of our own design, or the U.S. wins the World Cup?”
“If the ancient prophecies and the 2012 doomsday Planet X hypothesis will soon unfold, mankind is facing a future full of dire prospects.”
““The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion.””
“Once humans discovered it (in 1999), they rebuilt it with surplus metal, repainted it in primary colors and accidentally took it for a two-year joyride, proving that mankind is in fact the white trash of the galaxy.”
“Knowing that, how mankind is supposedly in the position to “destroy the earth” is beyond me.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘mankind’.
All words of the poem
by Gerard Nolst Trenité
Dearest creature in creation,
Study English pronunciation.
I will teach you in my verse <...
Words in the Bible evoking biblical stories or with special spiritual meaning. Proper names have been reduced to the minimum.
single words to be used in quotations more frequently than not.
( randomness )
These politically incorrect words for people contain the element 'man', 'son', or 'boy'.
Looking for tweets for mankind.