from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Resembling a human.
- adj. Belonging to or befitting a man. See Synonyms at male.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or characteristic of grown men, as opposed to women or children; macho, mannish, virile.
- adj. Of or relating to a human being; anthropoid, anthropomorphous.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Like man, or like a man, in form or nature; having the qualities of a man, esp. the nobler qualities; manly.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Resembling man in form or nature.
- Having the qualities proper or becoming to a man, as distinguished from a woman; masculine; manly.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. resembling human beings
- adj. possessing qualities befitting a man
- adj. characteristic of a man
Ikeega was overcome with joy, but he received her demonstrations in manlike fashion, saying: Come, Ikeega, let us eat.
It is obvious that for those who call a manlike ghost Elohim, there could be no difficulty in conceiving any other Elohim under the same aspect.
Only her reputation for "manlike" wisdom allowed her to remain a strong rallying point for the Castilians, which in turn gave her a measure of independence from her husband.
THE HUMAN BRAIN The suborder including all the remaining primates is Anthro-poidea (an'throh-poi'dee-uh; "manlike" G), and within this grouping are the monkeys, apes, and man himself.
Eventually, manlike creatures are fabricated by the thousands and sold widely by the Rossum Company as workers or soldiers.
And he has told us, too, and always has he told us, to be clean and strong and to walk upright and manlike.
At first she had looked in awe at the tiny white-satin slippers; but she had quickly understood the admiration which shone, manlike, in the eyes of the men.
But there were also the Halflings-the races who are manlike but not descended of the same blood.
It came to him with a shock, this sight of her so manlike in her saddle.
It was manlike, some six feet tall with hunched, hugely muscled shoulders and shambling walk.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.