from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Variant of dike1.
- n. Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a lesbian.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of dike.
- n. (slang) A toilet.
- n. a ditch.
- n. a valley.
- n. A lesbian, particularly one who appears macho or acts in a macho manner. This word has been reclaimed, by some, as politically empowering. (See usage notes.)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See dike. The spelling dyke is restricted by some to the geological meaning.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- A less proper spelling of dike.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (slang) offensive term for a lesbian who is noticeably masculine
- v. enclose with a dike
- n. a barrier constructed to contain the flow of water or to keep out the sea
Please note: I used the term dyke with the most loving intentions.
Activists who are engaged in the process of defining disability may choose to use "crip" in the same way the word "dyke" is now a chosen identity for many people but was, for generations, a deep insult.
One of my best friends has been called a dyke and shoved into lockers -- even though she dates a boy and looked stunning in her prom dress.
She felt an odd thrill when the delivery driver was a woman, a dyke from the looks of it.
However, I have been called the word dyke in an insulting sense before and it upset me.
So the inflections I would say of the word dyke should not offend.
Reclaimed words are a perfect example of this -- for some people identifying as a dyke, fag, tranny, or slut may be an integral part of their identity.
Though I have been called a dyke by buys in a mini-van.
We were trying to figure out why she freely uses the word dyke but can't stand to hear black people call each other the "n" word ...
I think that only a dyke can say the word dyke, etc etc. "
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.