from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An edge with ornamental triangular points.
- v. To fit or furnish with a vandyke; to form with points or scallops like a vandyke.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of a series of relatively large points forming an edge or border, as of lace, ribbon, cloth, etc.
- n. A Vandyke cape or collar. See II.
- n. A painting by Vandyke.
- n. A small cape resem—bling a very broad collar, worn by women and girls in the first quarter of the nineteenth century.
- Pertaining to the style of dress represented in portraits by Vandyke; especially, ornamented with relatively large points forming a border: noting a broad collar or cape, as of linen.
- To cut the edge of, as a piece of dress, in points, after the manner of a Vandyke collar.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a short pointed beard (named after the artist Anthony Vandyke)
- n. Flemish painter of numerous portraits (1599-1641)
Sorry, no etymologies found.