Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of a series of relatively large points forming an edge or border, as of lace, ribbon, cloth, etc.
- n. A Vandyke cape or collar. See II.
- n. A painting by Vandyke.
- n. A small cape resem—bling a very broad collar, worn by women and girls in the first quarter of the nineteenth century.
- Pertaining to the style of dress represented in portraits by Vandyke; especially, ornamented with relatively large points forming a border: noting a broad collar or cape, as of linen.
- To cut the edge of, as a piece of dress, in points, after the manner of a Vandyke collar.
- n. An edge with ornamental triangular points.
- v. transitive To fit or furnish with a vandyke; to form with points or scallops like a vandyke.
- n. a short pointed beard (named after the artist Anthony Vandyke)
- n. Flemish painter of numerous portraits (1599-1641)
“I liked to go to meeting, -- not wholly oblivious to the fact that going there sometimes implied wearing a new bonnet and my best white dress and muslin "vandyke," of which adornments, if very new, I vainly supposed the whole congregation to be as admiringly aware as I was myself.”
“I've had a mustache, a goatee, a vandyke, a soul patch, and mutton chops, and that was just last month.”
“Growing a beard has nothing to do with Islam; the Prophet himself never sported anything more than a vandyke.”
“My moon is bright yellow with vandyke brown spots.”
“Some, at least, could imagine the bean can sporting a neatly trimmed vandyke, or else something Lincolnesque; dressed, maybe, in a white suit, frayed of cuff and buttercupped with age; and supported by an eagle-headed cane; imagine the can pensively twirling a snifter of cognac as it pontificated before a library fire at the Explorers Club.”
“A pointed vandyke and curled-up mustache gave the slaver the appearance of a foppish raven with clipped wings.”
“He was scarcely five feet six in height, with a grey vandyke beard, iron-grey hair, and black-brown eyes.”
“The sixteen petals which constitute the two first rows, and which have been tinted pale lemon, have a deep pink vandyke or point formed at the lower end of each; round the edge of this point must be laid numerous spots and strokes of rich crimson, produced with crimson lake and minute portions of blue.”
“Cut three strips of double wax, vandyke them with the scissors, and indent each point with the pin, bend the whole forward, and paint them in the same manner and colour as the petals.”
“-- For blue eyes, permanent blue and white; for hazel eyes, yellow ochre and vandyke brown.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘vandyke’.
Some more words for intermediate and advanced spellers.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
words that describe facial hair,
some cute ones here
Words gathered while reading The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut.
Looking for tweets for vandyke.