American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A bicycle.
- n. A motorcycle.
- n. A motorbike.
- v. To ride a bike.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A nest of wild bees, hornets, or wasps.
- A corruption of bicycle.
- n. Scotland, Northern England A nest of wasps or hornets.
- n. A short form of bicycle.
- n. A short form of motorcycle.
- n. slang A promiscuous woman; from “the town bike (everybody rides her)”.
- v. To ride a bike.
- v. To travel by bike.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Scot. A nest of wild bees, wasps, or ants; a swarm.
- v. ride a bicycle
- n. a motor vehicle with two wheels and a strong frame
- n. a wheeled vehicle that has two wheels and is moved by foot pedals
- From bicycle, by shortening, and possibly alteration. (Wiktionary)
- Shortening and alteration of bicycle. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“A good mountain bike is a surprisingly effective means of off-road transportation and I've always wondered why more hunters and anglers didn't utilize them, especially in areas closed to motor vehicles.”
“My trusty mountain bike is rusting from lack of use.”
“A Cross Country mountain bike is typically lightweight yet durable.”
“A Dirt Jump mountain bike is designed for pulling off stunts and typically has hard tails.”
“A Downhill mountain bike is ideal for stunts and trail challenges.”
“North shore mountain bike is genuinely constructed for rough and rugged land surfaces.”
“A reader recently informed me that the term bike-sexual has been inducted into the Urban Dictionary.”
“#WTSports sujal @iambunnybee 5'8 ish. but my old bike is short for me. daylightgambler Have set up some test subjects on my very very alpha release of my social hiking/cycling app!”
“Being at the ripe old age of 14, a bike is my best way to get around to fish, and is modded there so to do it.”
“But my bike is a beat-up old hand-me-down from a male friend 6 inches taller than me, so while it's fun to ride, it's also challenging.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘bike’.
Don't worry. I won't judge you.
(Inspired by bilby's comment on book sniffer.)
Words created by removing the end of a longer or original word. See also Fun with Aphesis.
Okay, I admit it. I made a list of words my daughter knew when she was two years old.
Very basic words for ESL students.
There's a fiction meme (mostly on Livejournal) where writers use words as a prompt for a short story snippet. I've been collecting the words that show up on these lists as prompts for creative writ...
Words on t-shirts worn around the office.
Test site for students
Looking for tweets for bike.