from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A closed automobile having two or four doors and a front and rear seat.
- n. A portable enclosed chair for one person, having poles in the front and rear and carried by two other people. Also called sedan chair.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An enclosed windowed chair suitable for a single occupant, carried by at least two porters, in equal numbers in front and behind, using wooden rails that passed through metal brackets on the sides of the chair.
- n. A motorcar designed in a configuration with separate compartments for engine space, driver/passenger space and luggage space.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A portable chair or covered vehicle for carrying a single person, -- usually borne on poles by two men. Called also sedan chair.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A covered chair serving as a vehicle for carrying one person who sits within it, the inclosure being therefore of much greater height than width: it is borne on two poles, which pass through rings secured to the sides, and usually by two bearers.
- n. A hand-barrow with a deep basket-like bottom made of barrel-hoops, used to carry fish.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a car that is closed and that has front and rear seats and two or four doors
- n. a closed litter for one passenger
Next year, a new family-size sedan is scheduled to roll off the assembly lines at a newly built $1 billion plant in Chattanooga, Tenn.
Subaru The WRX STI is a high-performance version of the Subaru Impreza, available in sedan or five-door hatchback.
The 1973 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Holiday sedan from the “Evil Dead” trilogy (1981/87/92)
Production of the sedan is not expected to begin until 2012, but Tesla spokeswoman Khobi Brooklyn says new equipment needed to make electric cars is being brought in.
Ford Fusion mpg beats rivals: Ford's just-out 2010 Fusion gas-electric hybrid sedan is rated at 41 miles per gallon in the city, 8 mpg more than Toyota's rival Camry hybrid, and 36 on the highway, 2 mpg more than Camry.
The Toyota SAI Hybrid sedan is based on the Lexus HS250h, a much more powerful platform than the current Prius.
The S65 AMG, the performance version of the S-Class sedan, is $198,950.
Ford's mid-size, front-wheel-drive Fusion sedan is now the top-ranked model in Consumer Reports '"family cars" segment — better than the Toyota Camry, the Honda Accord, the Nissan Altima and the Hyundai Sonata.
An unusual 1940 Nash sedan is part of the collection in Mexico City's Automobile Museum.
A sedan is a saloon, a station wagon an estate car or alternatively a shooting brake, a hood a bonnet, and so on and so forth.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.