Did you perchance mean and?
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Chiefly Scots One.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Scotch and northern English form of one.
- n. A suffix of Latin origin, the same as -an, as in mundane, ultramontane, etc. In some cases it serves, with a difference of accent, to differentiate words in -ane, as germane, humane, urbane, from doublets in -an, as german, human, urban.
- n. In chem., a termination denoting that the hydrocarbon the name of which ends with it belongs to the paraffin series having the general formula CnH2n + 2: as, methane, CH4; ethane, C2H6.
- A suffix applied to the names of classes in the quantitative classification of igneous rocks. See rock.
- adj. used of a single unit or thing; not two or more
- Middle English ān; see an1. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Perhaps he saw my old car and something psychological kicked in ane he didn’t want to be stuck behind me.”
“Ye see, sir, I want ye to put yersels i 'the han's o' a man that kens ye baith, and the half o 'yer story a'ready -- ane, that is, wha'll jeedge ye truly and mercifully, and no condemn ye affhan'.”
“But gien sic a ane was a clerk in a coontin 'hoose, he wad hae to stow awa the wings; I cannot see what use he wad hae for them there.”
“Sabbath at e'en, and out o 'ane's warm bed at this time o' night, and a sort o 'drow in the air besides --- there's nae time for considering”
“An 'gin ye come o' ane 'at cud play this fiddle as this fiddle deserves to be playt, ye'll do me credit.”
“Eh, laddie!' said Mrs. Falconer, the first greetings over, 'ane 's ta'en an' anither 's left! but what for 's mair nor I can faddom.”
“I doobt there's mair o 'ane's in like condition, Jeames," responded the laird, "or we wad na be comin 'to tax yer skeel at this present.”
“But little ye ken the temptation o 'ane' at has but ae solitary wapon, to mak use o 'that same!”
“I kenned mysel 'ane' at in ord'nar 'affairs was coontit little better nor an idiot,' maist turn a prophet whan he gaed doon upo 'his knees.”
“An 'up yon'er ye cudna get a whack at her, for hurtin' ane 'at didna deserve' t.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘ane’.
Protagonists and relevant words in the Book of Creation (Source: King James Bible)
Looking for tweets for ane.