from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A stretch of level and open country; a plain.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Open countryside, or an area of open countryside.
- n. A battlefield.
- adj. Pertaining to open countryside; unforested, flat.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A flat, open country.
- adj. Flat; open; level.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A flat open country.
- Level; open.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a university town in east central Illinois adjoining Urbana
- n. extensive tract of level open land
Middle English champain, from Old French champainge, from Late Latin campānia; see campaign.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old French champaigne, from Latin campānia. (Wiktionary)