from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An area of land that is low in relation to the surrounding country.
- adj. Relating to or characteristic of low, usually level land.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Area which is lower than surrounding areas.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Land which is low with respect to the neighboring country; a low or level country; -- opposed to
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Land which is low with respect to the neighboring country; a low or level tract of land: most commonly used in the plural.
- Of or pertaining to the Lowlands, or to a low or level country: as, Lowland Scotch; a lowland race; lowland plants or animals.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of relatively low or level country
- n. low level country
Deltochilum valgum Burmeister killed and consumed millipedes in lowland rainforest in Peru.
The tomato could grow in lowland places where the tomatillo did not do well, and thus filled an important culinary niche.
Q What spot of lowland is it, upon which the sun shone once, but will never again shine till
Over fifteen species of wild peanuts are found in lowland Bolivia, where they were first domesticated and spread to Brazil, the Carribbean, and Tehuacan, Mexico, the ancient agricultural community in southern Puebla state where archeologists unearthed the oldest kernels of corn.
The fact that Hose’s civet has now been recorded in lowland forest as well as in montane regions at least suggests that it’s ‘more common and widespread than previously thought’ (Wells et al. 2005, p. 13).
The vegetation of the Admiralty Islands is broadly described as lowland tropical rain forest.
The lowland is the most populated and intensively cultivated zone followed by the foothills, the mountains and the Senqu river valley.
Moving inland, the boundary between the Northern Vietnam Lowland Rain Forests ecoregion and the Northern Annamites Rain Forests ecoregion is poorly defined as lowland wet evergreen forests grade into montane forest communities.
A wetland is defined as a lowland area, such as a marsh or swamp that is saturated with moisture, especially when regarded as the natural habitat of wildlife.
For other gorillas in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, however, so-called lowland gorillas, the picture is much bleaker.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.