American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. One that lacks sense or substance: interrupting with inane comments; angry with my inane roommate.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Empty; void; especially, void of sense or intelligence; senseless; silly.
- Synonyms Frivolous, puerile, trifling.
- n. That which is void or empty; void space; emptiness; vacuity.
- adj. Lacking sense or meaning (often implying, "to the point of boredom or annoyance").
- n. That which is void or empty.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Without contents; empty; void of sense or intelligence; purposeless; pointless; characterless; useless.
- n. rare That which is void or empty.
- adj. devoid of intelligence
- From Latin inānis ("empty, vain, useless"). (Wiktionary)
- Latin inānis, empty, lacking sense. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“* Cast a spell on weathercasters that engage in inane behavior resulting in hilarious, viral TV bloopers.”
“Everyone seems to spend a lot of time in inane conversation.”
“He inserts himself into the narrative and indulges in inane asides.”
“I'm willing to submit to the vision - his use of color and inane is definitely memorable, and might bring about some good things”
“Tory kids will be able to retire nice and young and waste their days in inane pursuits such as reading your drivel.”
“How inane is it that marketers at Microsoft balk at entering the podcasting market because they think the name helps Apple.”
“Instead, it starts off with in inane, one-dimensional, simplistic “McCarthy was right” and what came out of that.”
“Instead, it starts off with in inane, one-dimensional, simplistic â€œMcCarthy was rightâ€ and what came out of that.”
“They engage you in inane conversation when you’re late for work.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘inane’.
Building a list for standardized test prep or just for learning some new words! Please add any words that you feel are important for the SAT/GRE/GMAT etc...
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
words that one may enjoy using to describe other people or their actions
COLLECT FROM DIFFERENT PAPERS,WEBSITES,BOOKS AND MOVIES.
A list of words unfamiliar to me that I have repeatedly encountered in GRE question sets.
Looking for tweets for inane.