American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- A historical region and former province of northwest France south of Normandy. United with Anjou in 1126, it passed to England when Henry Plantagenet became king in 1154. Maine reverted to the French crown in 1481.
- A state of the northeast United States. It was admitted as the 23rd state in 1820. First explored by Europeans in 1602, the region was annexed by Massachusetts in 1652. Maine's northern boundary with New Brunswick was settled by a treaty with Great Britain in 1842. Augusta is the capital and Portland the largest city. Population: 1,320,000.
- n. A province in northwest France, centred on Le Mans
- n. The northeasternmost state of the United States of America. Capital: Augusta
- n. A town in Marathon County, Wisconsin.
- n. A town in Outagamie County, Wisconsin.
- n. A town in Broome County, New York.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One of the New England States.
- n. a state in New England
“ANGUS KING (I), FORMER MAINE GOVERNOR: I think it goes back into history and location a little bit away from the rest of the country. 100 years, the people who worked here and built Maine were independent-type people, farmers, fishermen, and they are about as independent as they get.”
“Robert F. Bukaty/Associated Press ONE MORNING IN MAINE: After a relentless stretch of dreary weather, the sun made a dramatic return to Maine in this brilliant sunrise captured near Ram Island Ledge Light at the mouth of Portland Harbor, Thursday.”
“PROTESTING AEGIS IN MAINE AND SOUTH KOREA yahooBuzzArticleHeadline = 'PROTESTING AEGIS IN MAINE AND SOUTH KOREA'; yahooBuzzArticleSummary = 'Article: Another Aegis destroyer was "Christened" in Maine and on the same day activists went underwater in South Korea to hold banners in the coral reefs opposing a planned Navy base where the Aegis would be deployed.”
“MAINE -- The Department of Justice's response to inquiries sent by Maine, Connecticut, Vermont and New Jersey about possible illegal wiretapping has been to sue the states for enforcing state law!”
“VIEW FAVORITES yahooBuzzArticleHeadline = 'Justice Department Quashes Wiretapping Inquiries'; yahooBuzzArticleSummary = 'MAINE -- The Department of Justice\'s response to inquiries sent by Maine, Connecticut, Vermont and New Jersey about possible illegal wiretapping has been to sue the states for enforcing state law!”
“MAINE: Benefits 41,000 workers in Maine, representing 12.2 percent of all hourly workers in the state.”
“BAR HARBOR, MAINE: US President Barack Obama and his family packed a full day of tennis, swimming and hiking into a weekend getaway in the northeastern state of Maine on Saturday.”
“AUGUSTA, MAINE - An American citizen on a flight from Paris to Atlanta claimed to have a fake passport and said he had explosives in his luggage, forcing federal air marshals to intervene and the plane to land in Maine, U.S. officials said Tuesday.”
“AUGUSTA, MAINE: A Maine legislator wants to make the state the first to require cell cancer, although there is no consensus among ...”
“MAINE 67, STONY BROOK 61 Troy Barnies scored 12 of his 18 points in the second half as Maine (10-6, 2-1 Northeast) erased a 10-point halftime deficit to beat visiting Stony Brook (11-7, 3-2).”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Maine’.
States in the U.S. for which there are associated lists on Wordnik. Someday I hope all fifty states will be listed here--if they're not already. (Inspired by Sufjan Stevens, who has his own Fifty S...
Looking for tweets for Maine.