from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Polite, refined, and often elegant in manner.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Courteous, polite, refined, and suave.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Courteous in manners; polite; refined; elegant.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or belonging to a city or town; urban.
- Civil; courteous; polite; usually, in a stronger sense, very polite; suave; elegant or refined: as, a man of urbane manners.
- Synonyms Civil, Courteous, etc. See polite.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. showing a high degree of refinement and the assurance that comes from wide social experience
Latin urbānus, of a city; see urban.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Existing since the sixteenth century in the sense of “appropriate to a city”: from French urbain or from Latin urbanus (from urbs, “city”). (Wiktionary)