American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or located in a city.
- adj. Characteristic of the city or city life.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or belonging to a city or town; resembling a city; characteristic of a city; situated or living in towns or cities: as, an urban population; urban districts.
- Civil; courteous in manners; polite. [In this sense urbane is now used.]
- n. One who belongs to or lives in a town or city.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or belonging to a city or town.
- adj. Belonging to, or suiting, those living in a city; cultivated; polite; urbane.
- adj. located in or characteristic of a city or city life
- adj. relating to or concerned with a city or densely populated area
- From Latin urbanus, itself from urbs ("city") (Wiktionary)
- Latin urbānus, from urbs, urb-, city. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Finally, I should note that while I use the term urban tribe and its subcategories, in general young people in Mexico City reject identifying themselves in such terminologies—goth, rasta, etc.—even if they otherwise appear fully immersed in a specific subculture.”
“The Dervaes assert that they are protecting a legitimate business interest, and that their trademark of the term "urban homesteading" prevents corporations from doing the same thing.”
“Will they have to cede to the demands of the Dervaes Family to stop using the term "urban homestead?”
“Critics such as blogger Crunchy Chicken claim that this trademark is unenforceable, since the term "urban homestead" has been in use since at least the 1970s.”
“An eco-enthusiast in Pasadena, Calif., recently trademarked the phrase "urban homestead" and is now warning the authors and publishers cranking out urban-homesteading how-to books not to tread on the turf he has tried to fence in.”
“By 2015, academics had coined the phrase "urban neo-Victorian dystopia" to describe the dramatic social and spatial changes in the city they had begun to compare, with only a little exaggeration, with the London described by Charles Dickens 160 years earlier.”
“The label urban fantasy. 15 years ago, urban fantasy was what we called stuff like Charles DeLint and the Borderlands series and all those rock 'n' roll elf stories.”
“The term urban taliban is finding repeated expression on these pages and this term is not only distorting the issue but is also capable of creating confusions.”
“Scott Meyer, formerly the editor of Organic Gardening magazine calls his book "The City Homesteader: Self-Sufficiency on Any Square Footage," a title that avoids the word "urban" and thus any pesky trademark disputes.”
“You know, what we call urban culture 30 years ago, you know, was black.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘urban’.
Words that describe the art of the impressionist era.
A combined list of
1. EU Buzz - single words
2. EU Buzz - collocations
3. EU Buzz - the 100 most active
absorption capacity, absorption rate, acceding country, accession candidate, accession countries, accession country, accession criteria, accession cycle, accession negotia..., accession partner..., accession priorities, accession treaty and 2650 more...
With focus on non-classical styles, but not excluding terms of the latter.
1. Strictly EU terms with special European meaning used only in the EU
2. Keywords central to the understanding of the EU (people working for the EU are usually able to give thematic...
Words from the names of various dictionaries.
These Vocabulary will learn adjectives that describe fashion choices and personal style in clothes.
My big word list.
Very basic words for ESL students.
Kad, you've created a monster. ;-)
Hopefully, I'll be using this site for more than one year. It will be fun then to look back and see what new words I found worthy of notice in any given year.
All words spotted in 2008...
A sad song by Dar Williams, from her album The Honesty Room.
The blue it speaks so full
It's like the beauty one can barely stand
Or too much things dropped in your ...
Looking for tweets for urban.