from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or located in a city.
- adj. Characteristic of the city or city life.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Related to the (or any) city.
- adj. Characteristic of city life.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or belonging to a city or town.
- adj. Belonging to, or suiting, those living in a city; cultivated; polite; urbane.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or belonging to a city or town; resembling a city; characteristic of a city; situated or living in towns or cities: as, an urban population; urban districts.
- Civil; courteous in manners; polite. [In this sense urbane is now used.]
- n. One who belongs to or lives in a town or city.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. located in or characteristic of a city or city life
- adj. relating to or concerned with a city or densely populated area
Latin urbānus, from urbs, urb-, city.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin urbanus, itself from urbs ("city") (Wiktionary)