from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or characteristic of a suburb.
- adj. Located or residing in a suburb.
- adj. Of, relating to, or characteristic of the culture, customs, and manners typical of life in the suburbs.
- n. A suburbanite.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Relating to or characteristic of or situated on the outskirts of a city.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to suburbs; inhabiting, or being in, the suburbs of a city.
- n. One who dwells in the suburbs.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to, inhabiting, or being in the suburbs of a city.
- n. One who dwells in the suburbs of a city.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. relating to or characteristic of or situated in suburbs
For those of you that don't -- aren't familiar with the term suburban sprawl specifically the way they defined it: areas that don't mix housing, shopping, and workplaces in the same area.
Now what I'd like you to do is instead the word suburban that we have in there, it's a bit of a misnomer, really think of it as Waltham as a concentration.
Two songs on it had the word "suburban" in the title, for those without ears.
People living in suburban Phoenix are out of touch with what “real life” is like in “much” of America.
Even in suburban Detroit there was no trouble finding off-the-books contractors and workers.
You want to be stared at like a weirdo; being a pedestrian in suburban America is an excellent way to make that happen.
She worked for several medical offices in suburban Maryland before joining the Iranian interests section of the Pakistan Embassy in the 1980s.
Christopher Nicholas: My polling place in suburban Harrisburg was doing a very brisk business at mid morning.
House Minority Leader John A. Boehner (R-Ohio), poised to become speaker if Republicans take control of the chamber, cast his ballot at West Chester Nazarene Church in suburban Cincinnati.
It's going to be more difficult to pry loose federal money to build new mass transit projects, such as the proposed light-rail Purple Line in suburban Maryland.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.