from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A usually residential area or community outlying a city.
- n. The usually residential region around a major city; the environs.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the area on the periphery of a city or large town that falls between being truly part of the city, but is not countryside either.
- n. any subdivision of a conurbation, not necessarily on the periphery.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An outlying part of a city or town; a smaller place immediately adjacent to a city; in the plural, the region which is on the confines of any city or large town.
- n. Hence, the confines; the outer part; the environment.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An outlying part of a city or town; a part outside of the city boundaries but adjoining them: often used in the plural to signify loosely some part near a city: as, a garden situated in the suburbs of London. The form suburbs was formerly often used as a singular.
- n. The confines; the outskirts.
- Suburban; suited to the suburbs, or to the less well regulated parts of a city.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a residential district located on the outskirts of a city
To Carol and me, even the word suburb was exciting: it meant a city was attached to it.
Internationally the term suburb conjures up images of a quiet, relatively unspoilt, less densely populated and predominantly residential community in the vicinity of a city.
REVOLUTIONARY ROAD: Jason Statham drives an 18-wheeler full of nitro into the title suburb, blows everything to shit, and then spends 90 minutes hunting down absolutely everyone involved with the making of this film, beating them to death with TV trays.
When a certain suburb decides to resurface the street in front of your house, how much of that gas tax is the suburb getting and using on the project?
From a “Mother Earth/Gaia” point of view building a city or suburb is far more destructive than building a mine, or building 50 mines for that matter.
The walk up to Atul Ruia's corporate office in Mahalaxmi, a central Mumbai suburb, is rather deceptive.
As dusk approaches a small Dublin suburb in the summer of 1984, mothers begin to call their children home.
On the surface, Annie Powerss life in a wealthy Floridian suburb is happy and idyllic.
But the Cleveland suburb is 10 times the size of Mission Hills, has a far more diverse population, and for other reasons does not fit the pattern he describes.
As someone who has spent WAY too much time in Atlanta, I knew I didn't want to live in a suburb from a very young age.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.